- Wearing of teeth will appear usually at sides of teeth
- Frequently recession of gum tissue of the tooth root
- The pattern
of the wear will match according to patients habit
- Teeth may be sensitive depending on the degree of wear
- Most frequently abrasion is associated with overzealous(aggresive) tooth brushing ,abrasive toothpastes,hard bristles of tooth
What causes dental abrasion
Abrasion is the loss of tooth structure
by mechanical forces from a foreign element. If this force begins at the cementoenamel junction, then progression of tooth
loss can be rapid since enamel is very thin in this region of the tooth. Once past the enamel, abrasion quickly destroys the
softer dentin and cementum structures.
Possible sources of this wearing of tooth are toothbrushes, toothpicks, floss.The appearance
is commonly described as V-shaped when caused by excessive pressure during tooth brushing.
The teeth most commonly affected are premolars and canines.
- patient can have senstivity of tooth on hot and cold .
- if the abrasion is severe it could lead to pain .
- removal of underlying cause
- restoration with tooth coloured composites
- seek advise from